Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Reflux!

Timmy has been struggling with bad refux issues since he was about a month old. The poor little guy was just so uncomfortable after feedings and throughout the day you could hear him gulping down the acid and sometimes gagging on it. He was crying so much, generally starting at his second feeding of the day (around noon) until 10 at night when he would crash for his long night sleep. I mean top of the lungs, screaming, face bright red and sometimes purple, crying. :(I just love the look on Hannah's face in this picture! It's priceless and totally sums up how we'd all been feeling.
After a few trips to the doctor we think we have him figured out. We started him on Zantac on February 22nd. After trying that out for 2 weeks, it just seemed like he was getting worse and worse and crying more and more. He was just inconsolable. We tried everything! The only thing that seemed to make him happy was putting him in the front carrier and constantly bouncing him.
We visited the doctor again on March 9th and switched him to Prevacid. He was noticeably better after only a day! He still cried a lot, but he was more easily pacified and just seemed to be a fussy baby. We've had a few really bad days since then and I feared that we were going backwards rather than forwards.
However, over the last few days Timmy has seemed so incredibly happy. He hardly fusses unless he needs something! Today he was so smiley I could hardly stand it and tears of joy just streamed down my face this evening as I looked at my happy baby. Even Hannah commented that Timmy doesn't cry as much as he used to.
It's been an emotional roller coaster, but I'm praising God that he has helped us figure out what was bothering Timmy so much. We hope that he continues to thrive on the new medication and formula (Enfamil AR--has rice starch to help hold it down in his tummy).

No comments: