While I'm on my doctor tangent....how would you answer the following question?
"Does your child know when you are worried or sad?"
The doctor always runs through a list of questions such as, "Does your child still use a carseat?", "How much TV do you allow your child to watch?", and "How many words does your child know, approximately?." You know, the typical let's make sure this mom knows what she's doing kind of an interview. But this question was a surprise to me.
I answered "No" and quickly realized that was the wrong answer by the concerned look on the doctor's face. I mean, doesn't every good mom try to pretend like everything's OK when you're really feeling stressed out or worried or sad?
Once I (very quickly) realized that the doctor was checking to see if Hannah understands and reads emotions (probably screening for autism or something), I was able to correct myself. Phew! I added, "Well, she does know when I'm upset with her because she did something wrong. She's really good at reading emotions."
The doctor seemed satisfied and moved on to something else. Does anyone else feel like you're being interrogated when you take your child to their well-baby check-ups? I'd love for you to leave a comment about your experiences!
Friday, September 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends screening for autism at 18 months and 2 years, so I'm sure your doctor was simply checking for autism. It's good to know that your doctor is following the guidelines! That is a good sign that you have a good pediatrician.
Post a Comment